It is our responsibility and joy to share with others. By giving financially, you are helping to fund ministries that change lives. Make a one-time gift or set up a recurring gift as an ongoing contribution to the ministry of Christ the Savior Lutheran Church. Online giving is secure and offered through Vanco Services.
For questions about online giving, please contact Judy Goerges, Controller, at 317-842-5649, ext. 225.
Important Information about Year End Giving and Income Tax Law
Please be reminded of tax rules governing end of year contributions:
1) The general rule is that a contribution is effective when delivered.
- This means that a check placed in the church offering in January 2018 cannot be deducted in 2017 even if it is backdated to 2017.
- If you want your gifts to be deducted in 2017, please make sure they are received by the church (or postmarked) by December 31.
- To ensure the deductibility of your church contributions, do not file your income tax return until you have received a written acknowledgment of your contributions from the church. Some of your contributions may not be tax-deductible if you file your tax return before receiving a written acknowledgment of your contributions from the church.
2) If you wish to make a stock gift to the church, please contact Judy Goerges, Controller, for the church's brokerage account information (842-5649, ext. 225). It is important to begin the process of transferring stock well ahead of the end of December if you wish the transaction to be completed before year end.
DOUBLE TAX BENEFIT
Gifting appreciated assets, such as stocks or mutual funds, results in a double tax benefit. The process is simple and offers these financial benefits:
If you’ve held the asset longer than one year, you avoid paying capital gains tax on the appreciated asset.
The total gifted amount is an eligible tax deduction and is listed on your annual church giving statement.
if you purchased stock for $1,000 several years ago and its value is now $10,000, rather than selling your stock and paying tax on the $9,000 gain, you could donate the stock directly to Christ the Savior Lutheran Church. You avoid capital gains taxes on the $9,000 and receive a $10,000 charitable giving tax deduction, as well as provide the church with the full $10,000 value of the stock.
If you are interested in making a gift of stocks or mutual funds, please call or email:
317-842-5649, ext. 225
Judy will give you the church's account and DTC number. Using this information, you can instruct your brokerage to transfer stock to Christ the Savior Lutheran Church.
December 31 is the deadline for donations to be claimed on 2017 taxes.
For gifts of securities, please note that it may take four to five business days from the time you or your broker initiates a stock transfer to Christ the Savior Lutheran Church until the settlement date when the proceeds are credited to the church's account and recognized as a gift.