Lament to Life
March 24, 2021
Consider the hours between
Friday’s dusk and Sunday’s dawn.
How are they usually filled in your life?
Watching the game, playing in the yard with the kids?
Staying up late, sleeping in?
House projects and “honey-do” lists?
Consider the hours between that Friday and that Sunday…
the ones that moved from lament to life.
Hours that began consumed by confusion and bathed in grief
covered by darkness as his lifeless body
was hastily moved from ghastly cross to borrowed grave.
Yet those hours changed in a moment,
for the stone was rolled away
grave clothes left behind
sin forgiven and death itself forsaken.
Time shifted suddenly from “He breathed his last” to “He has risen”
from “Why have you forsaken me?” to “Why do you seek the living among the dead?”
from spices of death to the garden fragrance of life.
Consider the hours, and your place in them
dying to sin and rising to life
baptized into one with him who made the way.
How will you “consider the hours” this year? The hours and days of Holy Week like no other – and we invite you to walk the journey with Jesus and your sisters and brothers in Christ. This year, various creative dramas and readings will help us consider the hours at our Holy Week worship opportunities:
- Palm Sunday, 3/28 (8:30 & 11 am) – Our celebration of Jesus’ “Triumphal Entry” in to Jerusalem features a dramatic reading involving the whole congregation.
- Maundy Thursday, 4/1 (7 pm) – Remembering the night that Jesus gave the gift of the Lord’s Supper, featuring a clever skit about bread…and how it reminds us of Jesus.
- Good Friday, 4/2 (7 pm) – The crucifixion of Jesus stands at the center of this worship service. Hear from “Peter” and “Mary Magdalene” as they remember their friend and teacher in the wake of his death.
- Easter Vigil – Saturday, 4/3 (7 pm) – The focus is Baptism as we hear of God’s promises from scripture, and renew our own baptismal promises – alongside the celebration of a few baptisms of precious little ones!
- Easter Sunday, 4/4 - HE IS ALIVE! Join us to celebrate the Resurrection of our Lord:
- 8:30 am – In-person or Online
- 10 am – Drive in worship in the back parking lot using an FM Transmitter.
- 11 am – In-person or Online
All worship services, except the Easter Vigil, are available online at the church’s “Watch Live” portion of the website and Facebook Live. Whether you are at home, at church or on the road for Spring Break – YOU are invited (and we love when you invite others!) to attend to the hours that not only make up Holy Week, but also shape our faith.
This is the story of our salvation – share in the hours of its unfolding this year!